Tuesday, August 17, 2010

My Grandmother...Bless her Soul!

Gonna write some blogs about my grandmother on my daddy's side. Here we go with one. Listen, the woman was very, very short and you better believe she spelled Southern culture with a big "C" and she was full of energy and lots of fun. I had no brothers and no sisters, cause I was one of those "poor things" in other words I was known as what the old folks called an "only child." In the summertime I went to visit my tiny grandmother a whole lot down in that old house in my home town of Cairo, Georgia which is believe me way down there in the southwest part of my state of Georgia. When I would walk from my daddy's store and go to visit the feisty old lady I suppose I was about 10 or 11. We'd sit out there on the old front porch just sweating like old pigs or hogs out there in that roughhouse scalding hot Southwest Georgia sun. The heat would just about slice a soul up cause it was rough as bloody crap. But I loved it because my grandmother would tell me old stories about how she ran off at the young age of 16 and married the thin man known as Thomas William White Sr. She told me wild stories about the crazy winter of 1899 when it was maddening and eerily cold for a town so deep down in the Georgia countryside. My grandmother on my daddy's side was a big believer in God and good gospel music. She'd get me to sing even when I was a little kid...and singing one of her favorite hymns...'The Old Rugged Cross' always made me smile. I realize now that I am a crusty veteran of many life experiences that I learned a lot sitting there on that wild hot front porch there in Cairo, Georgia. Lord,I figure I got swimming strong in such a deep tasty recipe of true Southern culture I was probably overwhelmed. Lots of times now the memories of my passionate grandmother well up in me when I get to thinking about this tiny woman who raised six big strong sons....well these kinds of memories are powerful indeed!

1 comment:

  1. Bless grandmothers and aunts and all the others, Southern or otherwise, who care about us enough to teach us their music, manners, and culture. Thank you for sharing your grandmother with the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete

Nice Writing

THE GOOD terse writing of Ernest Hemingway is a real joy.  He does not use too many adjectives.  His 'Torrents' is a fine tome.