Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Mr. Burrell, a guitar man with focused style

Kenny Burrell is one of my favorite jazz guitarists. His music literally crackles with excitement and intensity. His sense of style is focused and very sharp and in many ways I derive a big serving of joy delving into Kenny Burrell's music. I feel so great just like I feel when I experience a grand film performance by the dynamic one...of course I mean the one and only Mickey Rourke. Our friend Kenny Burrell flies effortlessly across the bridges of his improvisatory solos and it engulfs my brain in so many joyous remarkable ways. The grand album I heard this evening was one called, 'Then Along Came Kenny.' On this set Burrell was backed up by James Williams on piano, Peter Washington on bass and the sizzling man on the drums, one Sherman Ferguson. I know when I listen to fine jazz my inner soul is touched and entranced sort of like the magnificent feeling I receive when I view a Luchino Visconti or Federico Fellini film. In this fine Burrell set my favorite number (by far) was the fascinating bop classic 'Yardbird Suite' by the genius of the alto saxophone, Charlie Parker.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nice Writing

THE GOOD terse writing of Ernest Hemingway is a real joy.  He does not use too many adjectives.  His 'Torrents' is a fine tome.