Monday, May 31, 2010

Salute Folks on Memorial Day!

Today is Memorial Day and I am thinking about what this special day means to me. Once upon a time I was in the U.S. Air Force working in information, in other words I was a desk man what they used to call Category 3, non-flying. Anyway I met some fine individuals when I was in the service. Most all of these people were so "real" and not heavy laden with thin coatings of what one might call the artificial. Today I had to go to the airport here in Atlanta and I saw a lot of young men and women in uniform and it brought back a lot of memories. One great thing I saw was the fact of when some of the soldiers came up the escalator there were numerous volunteers who suddenly started clapping and welcomed these people back to their country. This had deep meaning for me. I appreciate the sacrifices these people have made. Let us think in a good kind way right now on this thing they call Memorial Day. To paraphrase James Agee, "Let us all praise great men."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nice Writing

THE GOOD terse writing of Ernest Hemingway is a real joy.  He does not use too many adjectives.  His 'Torrents' is a fine tome.