Sunday, September 5, 2010

Losing Boredom's Shackles

Boredom is a petty ugly thing. The slime of being bored has stuck in me for a long time but when I was quite young and in the mish-mash of being a student the mood of the bored was a hard essence to shake. One thing helped, however. When I was an adolescent I discovered the engaging and remarkable novels of the wily Norman Mailer. I recall reading the bizarre and super-modern novel, 'The Deer Park' by Mailer. It got me all excited because I had never read a man whose words just leapt off the page. The same mood of raw joy struck when I read 'Portnoy' by Philip Roth. It is absurd how some of my so-called friends put me down for liking Norman Mailer and the intense music of Mahler. I find that when we make a good discovery that is pleasing to us then it is best to just leap on the bull, ride it and try hard to have a nice life. It is obvious to me that kind of thinking makes a lot of sense. I tire of all the sophomoric and vapid prattle that has been poured into my head by all the pseudo-minds that I have come across. So let us have our Norman Mailers and Philip Roths. Let's have a dash of meaning and not a swamp of meaningless intellectual garbage to trudge through.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nice Writing

THE GOOD terse writing of Ernest Hemingway is a real joy.  He does not use too many adjectives.  His 'Torrents' is a fine tome.