Friday, August 20, 2010

The Wonderful Biscuit Woman

More memories today. Another story about my grandmother on my daddy's side. When I was about 10 years old living with summertime in my home town of Cairo, well let me tell you the heat was so strong it was hard to believe. That's how Southwest Georgia is. I would get up some energy some mornings about noon time cause I knew she would be cooking up some lunch. When I walked in the front door I could smell that GREAT AROMA....the smell of her fantastic biscuits was a terrific eating treat. After a little while my cousin Emmett (he loved her cooking, too) would show up and us boys and my grandmother and the great one my grandfather..well we would sit down at the old kitchen table and we would eat and eat and eat. Soon, the great lady brought out the mighty fine fried chicken and we would all gobble the delicious stuff down. But most wonderful of all were the biscuits. I have never seen a person know the meaning of downhome Southern culture like my delightful grandmother. It makes me a happy Georgia man indeed thinking of my heritage and meditating on the marvelous blood line that I come from.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nice Writing

THE GOOD terse writing of Ernest Hemingway is a real joy.  He does not use too many adjectives.  His 'Torrents' is a fine tome.