Friday, May 14, 2010

Sonny Rollins, John Coltrane, Mr. Roth

So many memories do I have when it comes to the sometimes confusing instrument that is the saxophone. When I was a real young guy I started trying to learn how to play that pesky nemesis that is the saxophone, but like a truly brash kid I opted for the tenor saxophone also telling myself I liked the tenor's big sound. I worked and worked but I had a dickens of a time trying to learn all the fingerings and most of all I had a teacher who believed in pounding into folks the importance of tone. I worked and huffed and prayed and moaned and then tried harder and harder. Finally I started to get the hang of it and started playing in a group with some friends on guitar and a mighty fine drummer guy who was one year older than me. Man, he could really kick it on those skins. Well, what I am leading up to is the fact I have a passionate respect for the really boss great tenor s. men like Sonny Rollins and the man of such fantastic jazz soul the one and only John Coltrane. When an individual listens to the super guys, Sonny Rollins and John Coltrane it is a magnificent total joy. Today yours truly listened to a vivid sparkling Sonny Rollins rendition of the superior jazz tune, 'St. Thomas.' I just totally love the composition, 'St. Thomas' cause it has such a magnificent kickin' good feeling to it. On this Rollins workout there was also the fascinating keyboard work of the man of deep poignancy, Tommy Flanagan and there was also the tasteful but certainly appropriately feisty work of the sensational Max Roach on drums. What a fine super Friday this is everyone. When I get back to the great gigantic jazz sounds of the tenor saxophone then I feel the same way as when I read a multi-layered work by the brilliant Mr. Philip Roth. Magnificent that is Philip Roth. Saxophones and Roth...what a wonderful world this is as Louis A. used to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nice Writing

THE GOOD terse writing of Ernest Hemingway is a real joy.  He does not use too many adjectives.  His 'Torrents' is a fine tome.