Monday, March 15, 2010

Of Tenor Saxes, Dashiell Hammett, Spring!

Feel so good today. Can feel Spring coming. So fine a sensation. Read some Elmore Leonard and one of my favorite classic noir-style writers, Dashiell Hammett. Lord, Dashiell Hammett can really write. He is not an average writer because the man's clever grasp of definitive characterizations truly enthralls me. Hammett's book, 'The Dain Curse' is such a classic, neo-modernist little novella. But Lord the fine jazz music got me really going so slick this lovely day. I enjoyed the resounding straight ahead jazz of one of my favorite tenor saxophonists, Dexter Gordon. This guy Dexter Gordon can really produce some explosively creative improvisatory choruses. He makes the ballads grand, too. I gave a listen to the haunting, 'Green Dolphin Street' and it had just the right zing, the pick-me-up I needed. On this tune, D. Gordon was joined by the excellent piano man George Cables and Rufus Reid on the bass and Eddie Gladden on drums. The comping by piano ace George Cables was especially outstanding. This kind of good, thoughtful jazz is so stimulating to one's well being sort of like enjoying the works of Henry David Thoreau or perhaps Lawrence Ferlinghetti. Oh, another good one, today. Old wacky me listened to Dexter Gordon and friends produce a great workout on the Sonny Stitt composition entitled, 'Loose Walk.' This number had a strong percussive buoyancy that tickled my musical palette, beautifully. I came back in my downstairs area and just enjoyed so much diggin' one of my favorite pieces of art, by the innovative impresario, Alexander Calder. Yes, it is a great so marvelous Monday, today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nice Writing

THE GOOD terse writing of Ernest Hemingway is a real joy.  He does not use too many adjectives.  His 'Torrents' is a fine tome.