Sunday, August 30, 2009

That 'ole Georgia raw Atlanta sound

A long time ago I went to the University of Georgia in Athens. I went so wild over the music there because there was some great stuff. Some guys were already talking about the Atlanta sound, a kind of raw hot, sizzling brand of music that would get in you and turn you into a firebrand of a dancer even if you figured you were not. Lord, the first time I heard a live show by the late great James Brown, well my, my it was so raw so right. It made the merry town of Athens get up and dance like the good wild folks of north Georgia know how to do. I loved the big tough guy sound but most of all it hit me one day that this place Georgia was so packed full of tone and superior music history. Well anyway it made me swell up with total pride. The thunderous raging violent beat, the cascading downright stompin' blue chords. well the magnitude of that good, 'ole awesome sound could make a grown man bawl. So many of us when we went across the pond still remembered the smokin' strutting soul of the great music guys of this good dawgstate, this place we call Georgia. I got into the word business because I wanted to try to capture some of these strong musical magic times and put some words together and try hard to tell how much this powerful music really means. Memories of wild music stick deep inside the soul for a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nice Writing

THE GOOD terse writing of Ernest Hemingway is a real joy.  He does not use too many adjectives.  His 'Torrents' is a fine tome.