Saturday, October 29, 2016

Darrell Simmons...Superb Man of The Atlanta Journal

DARRELL SIMMONS, a truly great man of The Atlanta Journal, passed yesterday.  I first met Darrell in the very early 1970s about the time that I too started working with the fine and passionate people of The Atlanta Journal.  For sure when I met the man we all called 'D' I was struck immediately with what a friendly, kind and strong under pressure gentleman he was.  He could organize and make pages in those good old '"hot type" days as good as most any man I ever saw.  He and the charismatic one Frank Hyland were always together.  They were like "brothers" in the frenetic, high pressure wild world of old-time newspapering.  I remember how there were so many super guys with the Journal back in those days.  Lewis Grizzard, Ron Hudspeth, and the super duo of Darrell Simmons and Frank Hyland were just super-fine men to be around.  I have so many terrific memories of the gentleman from Florida, Mr. Darrell Simmons.  And of course Mr. Frank Hyland (who passed last year) holds a special place in my heart, also.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nice Writing

THE GOOD terse writing of Ernest Hemingway is a real joy.  He does not use too many adjectives.  His 'Torrents' is a fine tome.