Thursday, March 27, 2014

A Georgia Puzzle

I HAVE WONDERED for years why it is that some people believe men and women from Southwest Georgia are just not culturally 'hip.'  I know that even when I was 16 or 17 in my town in Southwest Georgia we had a lot of interest in art and fine music and of course things of the theater.  I myself even participated in a clever Anton Chekov play when I was 16 years of age.  Despite all the street cred engendered by guys like the curmudgeon H.L. Mencken mumbling about the Deep South (with his "sahara of the bozart" verbal meanderings) believe me I know many folks who managed to do the ancient Latin, did Shakespeare and just about did all kinds of shall we say intellectual things.  Let's give people a chance.  Stop this malarkey about having snide mental hang-ups because of women and men and the geography they sprang from.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nice Writing

THE GOOD terse writing of Ernest Hemingway is a real joy.  He does not use too many adjectives.  His 'Torrents' is a fine tome.