Tuesday, September 27, 2011

SNL trippin' the Light Fun Fantastic!

Culture is a bag of tricks that can be so slick. One mesmerizing element of our gigantic culture has a fierce social dynamic all its own. The essence I am referencing here is comedy...maybe one might call it bawdy comedy. I am a remarkable devotee of sleek, cunning comedy that at times can prove harsh and blunt and rather scatological. I find myself loving the ebullient comic brew that Saturday Night Live (SNL) is brewing up, lately. Last Saturday night Lorne Michaels and his clever folks hit a massive comic home run. Alec Baldwin was terrific....my man was at his political and cultural best playing at being Rick Perry and also the marvelous superstar vocalist, Tony Bennett. Alec Baldwin's encapsulating feisty quasi-political performance was visceral and raw and so right-on funny. Also, the crafty Bill Hader was so profoundly comic as always. The man has remarkable imaginative talents. Seeing grand comedy on tv represents a provocative and heady cocktail for edgy curmudgeons like me. I find the verbal brandy that is comedy a mighty yum-yum of a wowee drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nice Writing

THE GOOD terse writing of Ernest Hemingway is a real joy.  He does not use too many adjectives.  His 'Torrents' is a fine tome.