Saturday, June 18, 2011

Happy Father's Day, To My Daddy!

Culture blog on my Daddy....On this Father's Day I say, "Happy Father's Day" to my Daddy. I have many memories of this remarkable man who raised me in the town of Cairo in the Southwest Corner of the State of Georgia. Many factors have contributed to the total package that I am as a man. But I remember most of all my FATHER who planted a huge work ethic in me and a remarkable sense of being able to enjoy life. Daddy was a guy who had five brothers. He was born in Jefferson County, Florida in a community called Metcalf that was near Tallahassee. About 1925 my Daddy and the family moved up to Cairo. My grandfather went into the shoe repair business. My Daddy worked so many, many jobs in his life but he was a believer in working hard and he inserted that mindset into me even when I was young. The Great Depression and the harsh 1930s were rough on my Daddy and his people. He married my Mama in 1940 and I came along in '44. Oh...my Daddy was drafted into the Army in 1942 and he stayed with that until 1946. After that Daddy worked in a gas station, then got into the flooring business. A change came about because he got into the business of jewelry in the early 1950s. Later he went into a new calling. He worked himself hard and learned the artisan's craft of picture framing. Did well. Later, he started selling antiques (furniture, lamps, etc.) The thing I most remember is how my Daddy always worked real hard and really attacked this business we call LIFE. He also loved Jazz and he taught me how to enjoy the Fantastic Jazz Piano men like the remarkable Art Tatum When I went in the Air Force, my Daddy and Mama drove a car (with me) all the way to California. I was fixin' to go overseas to The Far East. I remember the great times on that trip...Had lots of fun, especially in Colorado and Nevada, fascinating states. The fact is when I got across the pond and got lonely and sometimes got sad I always remembered my blood, my family and my culture. I realized I was so happy to be a man of Georgia. On this Father's Day of 2011 I salute my Daddy and all the great Daddies of the world. Yes, like Louis Armstrong used to sing, 'It's a Wonderful World.'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nice Writing

THE GOOD terse writing of Ernest Hemingway is a real joy.  He does not use too many adjectives.  His 'Torrents' is a fine tome.