Sunday, June 5, 2011

Dizzy Gillespie: A Real Jazz 'Superman'

I am thinking today about one of my favorite men of jazz...the magnificent Dizzy Gillespie. I remember the first time I heard his wild and so starkly original bop jazz music it truly startled me. His revolutionary bop jazz style was so exciting and intensely engaging. Dizzy Gillespie's work along with another jazz superman, Charlie Parker on alto saxophone was brilliant in its acute jazz improvisatory insight. The performance of Dizzy's that really had a major impact on me was his wild work on the surging jazz lyricism of the huge jazz tune called 'Night in Tunisia.' I listened to that one again this afternoon and once again I was transported into a vivacious and so energetic world of sparkling, so-strong jazz music. I think the idea that really pops into my brain when I hear the gigantic music of Mr. Gillespie is the fact that the man's musical ideas are so tremendously exciting. His trumpet can hit your soul like a slamming firebrand. Another really superb work of the man, Mr. G., is the clever jazz composition that is entitled 'Salt Peanuts.' That number has plenty of sparkling style. This is a fascinating Sunday filled with terrific sounds of the mighty music...JAZZ.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nice Writing

THE GOOD terse writing of Ernest Hemingway is a real joy.  He does not use too many adjectives.  His 'Torrents' is a fine tome.