Sunday, May 29, 2011

Elvis Presley, the Great Man of the South

Memorial Day weekend has me really thinking hard about life, music and of course the wild dimensions of American pop culture. Elvis Presley and the man's strong music have sort of dominated my brain today. The giant phenomenon of the marvelous Elvis burst like an exploding rocket on the American popular culture scene and things were never the same again. The raw, visceral and powerhouse sexy music was a mighty profound musical cocktail to swallow. When I was a younger guy I went insanely happy just loving the exciting, fine music of the guy from Mississippi and Tennessee. The sly, rockin' sounds of 'Hound Dog' and 'Don't Be Cruel' were sensational musical experiences, But I figure the thing that got to me was the so marvelous sense of passion that the man of the South, Mr. Elvis Presley had. Certain songs of his hit me deep inside my soul. I especially loved the melancholy and so haunting and beautiful 'Crying in the Chapel.' Also when I first heard that wild and full of passionate, jumping song 'Jailhouse Rock'....well my goodness.....it just got me so excited I just about busted out crying and laughing whoop-it-up style at the same time. Yes, people there are very few joys in life that smack us hard like the mighty Elvis Presley singing those great juggernaut numbers of his. On this very magnificent Memorial Day weekend let us all give thanks for our veterans and also for a super soul of the South (and Also an Army man) the one and only Mr. Elvis Presley.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nice Writing

THE GOOD terse writing of Ernest Hemingway is a real joy.  He does not use too many adjectives.  His 'Torrents' is a fine tome.