Sunday, March 21, 2010

Nicholas Payton Kicks in Raw Power

Nicholas Payton, Nicholas Payton! Lord, the man is one super fantastic trumpet player. The guy knows how to make his horn really bring down the house. Gigantic, innovative and full of superior thinking man's jazz. That's what this guy's style does to us. His musical thinking is so remarkable. You listen and right away you feel ten thousand times better. I listened to an exciting Nicolas Payton and friends performance of the legendary Milt Jackson composition, 'Bags Groove' today. The straight ahead raw power of the jazz was so feisty and Lord so profound. I love the musical art of Milt Jackson, too. In so many ways the great guy of the vibes has such deep classic passion and acerbic intellectualism that I admit the palette of overall sounds truly enraptures me. The great music of Milt Jackson and the MJQ just made me so happy when I was a young guy cutting my teeth on the exciting music that is jazz. The interesting element of greatness that is found in the fascinating music of Nicholas Payton is the fact there appears to be an engaging sense of romanticism in his highly developed improvisatory lines. Yet, there is also in Payton's work a visceral raw and right-on emotionalism. This makes for a fine recipe of jazz happiness, indeed!

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the blogisphere, Frank. This makes me want to retire so have time for such thing!

    ReplyDelete

Nice Writing

THE GOOD terse writing of Ernest Hemingway is a real joy.  He does not use too many adjectives.  His 'Torrents' is a fine tome.