Wednesday, February 3, 2010

My aunt, a grand Southern lady passes

This morning my aunt, Doris Scruggs, passed away in Pelham, Georgia. She was 93. This wonderful southern woman was a grand personality, a person who was always deeply interested in culture, music and the arts. She was a great teacher. And yes, she was so marvelously full of life. One reason I got so interested in piano and keyboard folks is the fact that people like my aunt Doris used to play the piano in her house so delightfully. She was so passionate about her music and like my mother (her oldest sister) she put so many intricate and so vivid interpretations into her music. And it is a fantastic memory to me how many times I had so many great conversations with her. Many things have been written by people like William Faulkner, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Norman Mailer and others about how important life with all its memorable times can be. Faulkner, Fitzgerald and Mailer are masters of the artistry of great words. Yes, one's blood, one's ancestry is so vital and as we grow older ourselves we realize the poignancy and the essential and so definitive dynamics that are in the lives of people who mean so much to us. I am so happy that my aunt Doris helped to instill in me the good, passionate feelings about art, culture and yes, creativity. My aunt Doris brought so much wonderful and meaningful good feeling into my life and for that I am so grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nice Writing

THE GOOD terse writing of Ernest Hemingway is a real joy.  He does not use too many adjectives.  His 'Torrents' is a fine tome.