Monday, February 15, 2010

Chet Baker paints good sense of 'Cool'

"Cool" trumpet playing knocks me out. In a huge way, I can really get into that brand of sounds. The slick man of "cool" from the West Coast, the grand horn man Chet Baker, is a marvelous exponent of the shiny, beautiful linear lines kind of mainstream jazz. Since the huge snow has eased here the super sounds of Chet Baker are apropos' for driving my mood up to a better plane. A finite, ice-cold biggie of a jazz composition interpretation is a track with Chet Baker on trumpet, the craftsman Paul Desmond on alto sax and the clever Bob James on keyboard. This particular track I am referencing is a mellow rendition of a pretty tune, 'Autumn Leaves.' Bob James work has a kind of picaresque mystery that is so good here. The alto sax work of Paul Desmond is interesting also on this one. One more grand ditty for me today was a vamping, sort of modal reading of the good standard, 'But Not For Me.' I have always enjoyed that one cause I can even recall one of the first times I heard the thing. That was the famed Prestige recording I think that had Miles Davis the trumpet master and the elegant man of the vibes, Milt Jackson. Anyway, it is great to get the "cool" and thrillingly refreshing sounds of Chet Baker plunked down in one's soul. That is a "fun" trip if there ever was one. Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nice Writing

THE GOOD terse writing of Ernest Hemingway is a real joy.  He does not use too many adjectives.  His 'Torrents' is a fine tome.