Friday, January 22, 2010

Lee Marvin's a mean business kind of guy!

I enjoy good mystery or thriller films or what a bunch of grand folks call the "film noir" category. The other night I watched a terrific 1967 film called 'Point Blank' with the superior tough guy actor Lee Marvin and the glamorous Angie Dickinson. This particular film takes us all on a huge ride through all kinds of juicy, nitty-gritty plot twists. There are superb performances by Keenan Wynn and Carroll O'Connor, also. Oh for sure this is a revenge movie. Lee Marvin has a stare that means business. A stare can work well in the cagey world of crime stories. This particular opus has two writers, Donald E. Westlake and Alexander Jacobs. I'm not too familiar with Mr. Jacobs. but I know Donald Westlake and he is one profoundly good wordsmith. I have read several Westlake novels and like the wonderful writer, Elmore Leonard, Westlake knows how to get the job done. And with the marvelous feminine Angie Dickinson in this one then an exciting film has been developed. The humor in 'Point Blank' is so subtle but the main thing is you have to remember this is a tough guy story. And believe me there are very few men who can pack a physical and emotional wallop like Lee Marvin. I had friends years ago who always asked me why I liked mystery films and stories. I figure the reason is when a person experiences very good terse prose then it has a tendency to really please one's literary soul. It's kind of like listening to the innovative rugged jazz arrangements of the superior stylist, Gil Evans, the fella who developed such great musical art with wonderful Miles Davis. I suppose some of my presumptious nihilist friends might think I am using too much fluff in this piece but I don't care what these souls say. What I Know is when a person experiences the fantastic acting art of Lee Marvin it is overwhelming.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nice Writing

THE GOOD terse writing of Ernest Hemingway is a real joy.  He does not use too many adjectives.  His 'Torrents' is a fine tome.