Friday, December 18, 2009

Earl 'Fatha' Hines: Poetic Man of the Piano

Polished classic jazz from the '4os has always been one of my large interests. I figure the timeless piano style of the great Earl 'Fatha' Hines has huge appeal. When you listen to how the man cuts into a classic blues rendition then it is a fabulous feeling, indeed. Another thing: the big band efforts of Earl 'Fatha' Hines have such a tremendous joye de vivre also. Many years ago friends all told me to listen only to the supra-modern big band of Dizzy Gillespie. I love Gillespie's work but Earl Hines has a delightful ability to find just the right notes and just the right chords. But I still believe I get into the high-flyin' work of one Mr. Dizzy Gillespie, also. In truth if you people out there give a man named Earl Hines a try you will love it, I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nice Writing

THE GOOD terse writing of Ernest Hemingway is a real joy.  He does not use too many adjectives.  His 'Torrents' is a fine tome.