Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Thelonious Monk, Charlie Rouse: So 'Hip"

It is a perfect day here in North Georgia. Bright sunshine, beautiful leaves. Super good one today, so I got back into my innovative jazz fun life this afternoon. I listened to one of my all-time favorite men on the magic energy instrument, the piano. I am speaking of the fabulous fella, Thelonious Monk. His music is so compelling and yes energetic and full of the depth of marvelous jazz improvisation. Working with him on my listening material was his great sideman, the very fine Charlie Rouse on the good horn, of course I mean the tenor saxophone. I have always "dug" the unusual sounds of Thelonious Monk. And Charlie Rouse is such a merry musical prankster on sax. Monk and Rouse together are solo guys who can really get the "mod" music "cookin'" and so, oh my Lord, "hip." When Thelonious Monk and friends play his engaging 'Blue Monk' it just really sends me out in space. It has so much great "kick" and powerhouse style. Yes, Monk, Rouse and associates can surely get it done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nice Writing

THE GOOD terse writing of Ernest Hemingway is a real joy.  He does not use too many adjectives.  His 'Torrents' is a fine tome.