Monday, September 28, 2009

Grits, a tomato sandwich and Miles Davis

Men who are Georgians (like me) enjoy eating some classic soulful food. When I was a young boy growing up in Cairo, a town in Southwest Georgia well, there was nothing better on a cool fall morning than getting up on a bright Saturday and having a huge helping of grits and some link sausage. My mother could make great breakfasts. But Lord, the grits made the day great. Then after a little while we'd have a whopping big lunch and the top item on the sparkling clean kitchen table happened to be two gigantic tomato sandwiches. One for Mama and one for me. Being a Southwest Georgia kid was a lot of fun. Soul living, that's what it was. Later, that night I would listen to some so fine jazz music from the one and only ace trumpet man, Mr. Miles Davis. The lively profound musical greatness of Miles Davis was so satisfying. Hello everyone! Realize Georgians like me know how to get down to it and dig the great things...grits, tomato sandwiches and Miles Davis. Those happy times, especially the tasty tomatoes, wonderful grits and big music of Miles Davis just made me a fella learning what being 'hip' truly meant.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nice Writing

THE GOOD terse writing of Ernest Hemingway is a real joy.  He does not use too many adjectives.  His 'Torrents' is a fine tome.